Our program is behind plan. Should we continue, change scope, pause or stop?

Decide on the remaining work and what it is worth, and leave money already spent out of it. Check what runs in production, what remains by function, and why the plan slipped. Then fund only against evidence and milestones, or change scope, pause or stop.

Tamir Khason · Updated · Decision guides

Check what is actually delivered

Ask what runs in production with real users, and what exists only in test. Ask for the remaining work by function with its estimate and basis, and compare it with the delivery rate so far. Count a function as done only when it has passed acceptance.

Ask why it slipped, with the decisions and events behind it. Added scope, wrong estimates, vendor performance, team changes and design problems each need a different fix. A slow start may be setup cost now behind you, or a rate that will continue.

Choosing between the four options

Ask each workstream for the operation it changed and the number that proves it. Continue the pieces that change a measurable operation soon. Change scope when a smaller release still serves the business. Pause when a decision outside the program blocks it. Stop when the reason for the program no longer holds.

If you fund more, release money by milestone with an independent check at each, and agree in advance where you stop. When a vendor proposes a bigger scope to get past a blocker, judge that scope on its own merits, in its own project. Before you change vendor, take possession of the code, designs and access you own.

Where the seats differ

If you're on the board or an investor, ask what the previous funding rounds delivered and what is different about this estimate, in method or in people. Fund by milestone or by dependency cleared, rather than by quarter. Separate sunk commitments from resources you can still avoid, and record why you chose the option you chose.

If you run the company and your executives disagree, ask both for the same two numbers: the cost to finish, and the business value at each remaining milestone. If you're the CIO or CTO, separate what the program really needs from the blocker that stalled it. Price the option of stopping now and keeping what works.

What to check before you decide

  • List what runs in production with real users, separately from what is reported as done.
  • Get the remaining work by function with its estimate and basis, and compare it with the delivery rate so far.
  • Ask what caused the slip, with evidence: added scope, wrong estimates, vendor delivery or team changes.
  • Ask what is different about this estimate, in method or in people, from the last one.
  • Define a smaller release that still serves the business, and price stopping the rest.
  • Release funds by milestone, with an independent check at each.
  • Agree in advance what evidence would make you pause or stop.

Questions people ask

Management asks the board for more ERP money for the third time, how do we decide whether to fund it?

Fund only against evidence: what is in production, what remains by function with its estimate, and what changed since the last request so the estimate is believable now. Attach conditions: milestone-based release, an independent check at each one, and a defined stopping point. It depends on whether the previous rounds delivered anything in production and on why the estimates were wrong.

Management wants to re-scope a regulator approved grid program, what should the board check before approving?

Check each change against the regulatory approval: what was promised, what the change does to it, and whether the regulator must be told or asked. Then check whether the dropped parts carry obligations and whether the added parts have a business case. It depends on the terms of the approval and on how the regulator treats scope changes.

Our portfolio company's platform migration stalled and management wants more capital, how do we verify before funding?

Get an independent read of the migration's state: what runs on the new platform, what is left, why it stalled and what the completion needs in money, people and vendor terms. Fund against milestones with that read as the baseline. It depends on whether the stall is a vendor problem, a team problem or a design problem, because the funding structure differs for each.

Our data program restarted with each of three CIOs, should the board approve another restart?

Approve nothing until the board knows what the fund needs from the program in business terms and why the previous attempts stopped. Then approve a first deliverable in use within a defined period, owned by the business, rather than a platform. It depends on whether anything from the previous attempts is usable and on what the fund's clinicians and managers would use first.

Our fintech's launch keeps slipping and management blames integration partners, how does the board decide on funding?

Get the integration status from the partners directly and compare with management's account, and ask for the launch's remaining dependencies with owners and dates. Fund against those dependencies clearing rather than against a date. It depends on whether the partners confirm the account and on how many dependencies remain.

The sponsor of our technology program left and the program drifted, how does the board decide whom to appoint and whether to continue?

Decide what the program is for before who runs it: which business outcomes it still serves, what it has delivered and what it costs to complete. Then appoint a sponsor with authority over those outcomes, with a mandate the board writes. It depends on whether the program's purpose survived the sponsor and on what has been delivered.

Our inter agency data sharing initiative stalled on legal and technical questions nobody owns, should the committee keep funding it?

Fund only against a narrow first exchange with a named owner on each side, a written legal basis for that exchange, and a date. If no agency will own a first exchange, the initiative has no sponsor and funding it changes nothing. It depends on whether one exchange with clear value and a legal basis can be found.

Should directors authorize more spending when a refinery system cannot be recovered?

Require a forward option comparison based on verified recoverability. The decision depends on essential operating needs, bounded alternatives, and what each option leaves the refinery able to do.

How should directors reconsider a failing program they previously endorsed publicly?

Judge forward options using current evidence rather than the public commitment. The decision depends on remaining value, viable alternatives, and an honest explanation of what changed.

Our digital program is two years in with double the budget and no visible results, what do I do?

Stop funding the program as a whole and fund only the pieces that change a measurable operation within months. Ask each workstream for the decision or process it changed and the number that proves it. It depends on whether any workstream can show a change already, and on whether the problem is the program's design or its leadership.

ERP program over budget, CFO wants to freeze it and CIO says that wastes everything, how do I decide?

Ask both for the same two numbers: what it costs to finish from here and what the business gets at each remaining milestone. The money spent is gone either way; the decision is about the remaining spend against the remaining value. It depends on whether the overrun came from scope growth, estimate errors or vendor performance, because each has a different fix.

Our maintenance system project stalled, crews are back on paper and the vendor keeps billing, what should I do?

Stop the clock on the vendor until there is a written plan with dates you can check, and put the crews' records back into a system this month, even a simple one. Then decide whether the vendor's plan is credible. It depends on what the contract says about milestones and on how much of the system actually works today.

Fare validation rollout stalled, authority threatens penalties, vendor and operations blame each other, how do I unblock it?

Get one list of what blocks each vehicle, with an owner and a date, because fleet rollouts stall on a few concrete things: installation slots, firmware, data, staff training. Then run a daily count until the authority's date. It depends on where most vehicles are stuck and on whether the authority will accept a plan with dates.

Our project has waited months for central security approval with no date, how do I get it moving?

Find out exactly what the central body needs from you, because waiting often hides an incomplete submission or a question nobody answered. Then escalate with a written record of what was submitted, when, and what remains. It depends on whether the approval is blocked by your submission, by the central body's queue or by a policy question nobody owns.

Our online store replatforming stalled after the agency lost its developer and they want more money, what are my options?

Get the code, designs and access in your hands first, because without them you have no option at all. Then have someone independent assess what is built and what it takes to finish, and compare the agency's price with another firm's on that assessment. It depends on what the contract says you own and on how much of the new site actually works.

Legacy modernization project halfway through budget with only a quarter done, continue or stop?

Decide on the remaining work. The money already spent shouldn't drive the decision. Ask for a function-by-function estimate of what is left, and check whether the delivered quarter actually runs in production. It depends on whether the slow start was setup cost that is now behind you or a rate that will continue.

Customer portal project stuck on legacy billing integration and the vendor wants to replace billing too, what should I do?

Separate the portal's real needs from billing into a short list of reads and writes, because most portals need far less from billing than the integration plan assumed. Then decide on billing on its own merits, in its own project. It depends on which billing functions the portal must change in real time and on the billing system's remaining life.

How I can help with this decision

Ask or talk (Free)
I give my view on how to read the program's state and which two numbers decide continue or stop.
Review (Pay if it was worth it)
I write an independent assessment of what is delivered, what remains and the funding request. I recommend to continue with conditions, change scope, pause or stop, with a funding structure.
Retain (When it makes sense)
If the program continues, I stay available at each milestone to review the evidence before the next release of funds.